Saturday, February 9, 2013

Flowers on a Snowy Day

Here we are, BURIED in snow.  A whole winter's worth of snow in 2 days!  Winter storm Nemo is finally winding down after dropping over 2 feet of snow and leaving an unsettled feeling over me.  Normally I would enjoy being hunkered down working in the studio, but storms like this--BIG storms--make me worry about my husband out plowing for hours on end and the possibility of losing power, and keeping 3 woodstoves burning.  But after several calls to Mom and attempts at shoveling, I got myself in the studio and just started working. 

It's so fun to watch an idea come together.  I've been working on a new flower series based on the hydrangea flower.  I started the series in November, but I was so busy with shows, that I wasn't able to explore it.  I made a few pieces before this, but thought I'd show you today's project and I'll show more soon.  

This is the start of a ring.  It's 12g sterling wire that's wrapped to form the ring shank and vines.
Next, I added 22g flowers to each stem.  I formed them first and added a center ball to each small flower and a fine silver tube setting to the large center flower. 

And here's the finished ring.  A 5mm yellow sapphire sits in the center, while the flowers have a soft, brushed finish. 

Just look at the sculptural quality here.  I love pushing dimension and creating wearable sculptures!  It's comfortable too!  More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment